Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rabbi Levi Shemtov

I was about 15 when I arrived to learn in Montreal and R’ Volf gave us a shiur Chassidus every day in the Frierdike Rebbe’s maamorim. While I can’t claim to remember every word, of course, I still vividly remember the deep respect and awe he showed upon uttering each word and how he conveyed it. It was often “himmeldig” and you felt you were really learning from a true chossid who felt the sanctity of the maamer – a difficult thing to impart at our age then.

In truth, he was a very private person, and didn’t talk about himself much. But I got a keen insight into him because I very often stayed in his house so he wouldn’t be left at home alone after his wife a”h passed away. Basically, I spent my free time in the dormitory but went to his house to sleep. Every night, he would listen to the news on a little radio for a few minutes to know what was happening in the world. As any bochur who got that “look” from R’ Volf knows, he was more aware of things around him than he let on.

But most of the time I saw him he was learning, or as I witnessed many times, saying krias shma for long periods of time before he went to sleep. This made a great impression on me because most times he could never know I was watching. There were some times I think he did some things for my benefit, like learning from a Steinsaltz gemara, which I thought was to show me it wasn’t the worst thing in the world, should I need it. Or when he made sure there was some mezoines in case I wanted some in the morning. He was a real role model in many ways,

The MOST joyful thing for him was when his grandchildren came to visit. His face would light up and you could see the sheer naches and enjoyment he felt when they were there. He didn’t like when people spoke loshon horah. Sometimes he would cover his ears, other times he would merely change the topic. He understood a good joke in the appropriate time.

But above all, he was more than a chassidisher yid – chassidus was his very life. He was one of a kind, and he is surely sorely missed. I only hope that lemayla he is continuing to shturem in his unique way, to bring Moshiach du lemateh bepoyel mamesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment